Its Volunteers Week meet Elsa one of our wonderful volunteers.
1) How long have you volunteered for Scannappeal?
Since 5 March 2003.
2) Why did you first get involved with Scannappeal?
I wanted to help raise money because I felt equipment meant the charity funded in 1995 led to my husband Mickey’s lung cancers being identified at an early stage and that bought us another 8 years together.
3) Tell us about your role?
I’ve been involved in garden events, many tombolas out and about. In Amersham lots of stalls, bric-a-brac, cakes etc. In my early days I helped in the office and that encouraged me to buy a computer and have lessons. That was good for me as emails, Google and Facebook keeps me in touch with family and friends. My biggest role has been helping to start the bookshop.
4) What do you like most about the role you do?
Just knowing that all the money raised is going to give patients’ access to updated machinery it also has given me the chance to make lots of friends. We get lovely people who come to visit us in the bookshop.
5) Can you tell us about the most memorable thing that’s happened to you whilst volunteering?
a: When I heard we could have the shop on the 2nd floor. To allow us to show all the lovely various books that are donated.
b: I always have a smile and lovely memory of Susie after one of the open garden events when Lord Carrington came down and drew a halo over heads!!
6) What contribution or achievement are you most proud of?
“The Bookshop” gives me pleasure always working along with Pam. Organising themes etc. But mostly meeting all the patients that visit us. I’ve made many friends who bring in books, knitted items and homemade cards. All wanting to contribute in some way.
7) What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
Not to waste time and energy on something you cannot change.
8) What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I have a crush on Aidan Turner.
9) In one sentence why should people volunteer their time to support Scannappeal?
By volunteering to raise funds for Scannappeal many lives will be saved.
10) Finally if you could go anywhere and do anything with no limit on time or money, where would you go, what would you do?
Nothing comes to mind! Happy where I am.